Did you know? A 20% cut in energy costs represents the same bottom line benefit as a 5% increase in sales in many businesses?
More fascinating facts produced by the Carbon Trust.
- Heating costs rise by about 8% for every 1°C of overheating.
- Lighting in a typical office costs about £3/m2 annually, but in the most efficient office only costs about £1/m2.
- Fluorescent tubes use only a few seconds’ worth of power in start up – therefore, it is always better to switch them off when leaving a room.
- Lighting a typical office overnight wastes enough energy to heat water for 1,000 cups of tea.
- On average, 20% of the total energy bill in commercial offices is accounted for by office equipment – about half of this use stems from PCs and monitors.
- A computer and flatscreen monitor left on 24 hours a day will cost around £50 a year. Switching them off out of hours and enabling standby features could reduce this to less than £15 a year and prolong the lifespan of equipment.